Shortly after a student is accepted into KCAD, they will receive an invitation for the orientation session that is open to them. Orientation is a one day event. It consists of several scheduled sessions (note: this is not an open house format). At orientation, you will hear from staff that offer services and resources necessary to your time at KCAD. You will also meet current students that have great advice about life at KCAD. The college offers one orientation session before each of the fall, spring and summer (summer one only) semesters. Graduate student orientation is only offered before the fall semester.
- You will need to check-in inside the Activities & Resource Center (first floor of the 17 Fountain Street NW Building).
- You can check-in for the event between 11:00 am and 11:20 am. During check-in you will get your student ID card, free bus pass and all the information you need for New Student Orientation. The first presentation begins at 11:30 am.
- Please be prepared for the weather. The weather forecast does not sound like it will be a problem in Grand Rapids but that might different where you are. Dressing in layers is always a good idea, some rooms can feel cooler than others.
- Lunch will be served at 12:10pm. We will have lunch options that accommodate those who require vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options.
- We are a collection site for Greener Grads, if you have a graduation gown that you would like to donate, please bring it with you. For more information about Greener Grads, visit https://www.greenergrads.org.
- We expect the New Student Orientation to end at 4:00 pm.
- If you haven’t been to KCAD yet, here is a website that provides driving directions. http://www.kcad.edu/about/map-and-directions/
- The closest parking option is one block west of the 17 Fountain building. You can enter on Pearl Street (this lot will cost $15 for the day). This link provides a map of all the parking options in Grand Rapids.
Students that will begin classes in the Spring 2017 semester at KCAD are invited to the New Student Orientation on Friday January 6, 2017. Here are some details to help you prepare for the event.
If you require lodging, the closest options are: