The decision to go with a Macintosh laptop was reached after extensive research and testing. Apple computer recently released an innovative software program called Bootcamp. This program allows these computers to start up in both of the dominant operating systems in use today. The student will be able to run Macintosh OSX as well as Windows 7 operating system and software. Other features found standard on this computer will ensure that each student will be able to communicate, research, create, document, and present his/her work professionally. The Intel-based Macintosh laptop will allow students to take any class at Kendall regardless of the operating system.
Does Kendall sell any required software?
Yes, the following software programs can be ordered through Kendall at a significant discount:
- Microsoft Agreement - $35 (You must order this with your first MS software purchase. It is charged to your student account each year.)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - $30
- Microsoft Windows 8 Pro - $30
- Microsoft Office 2011 - Mac - $30
- Adobe Acrobat Professional - Mac - $119
- Adobe Acrobat Professional - PC - $119
Orders may be placed through the Technical Support page on the Kendall website. Students will also agree to an agreement stating that the software will be for their use only and that it cannot be given to anyone else, borrowed or sold. We are fortunate to have these special software prices and we do not want to do anything to jeopardize it.
Where can students buy required software that cannot be ordered from Kendall?
- Adobe After Effects CS6 Professional is available as part of the Production Premium Package ($349.00) and the Master Collection Package ($599.00) through our contract with Adobe. To purchase After Effects as a single program, you can go to any of the educational software stores. The price is typically around $330.00 for just that one program.
- Adobe Type Classics for Learning – $83.00 (item # 42180002) at Studica
- Amadeus – $30.00 purchase and download at Tucows
- Apple Quicktime Pro – $29.00 purchase and download. While connected to the internet, open Quicktime Player (located in the Applicatons Folder on your hard drive). Click on the tab in the top left-hand corner of your screen called Quicktime Player. Scroll down to “Buy Quicktime Pro” and follow the instructions.
- Cyberduck – free download at apple.com
- Mozilla Firefox – free download at Mozilla.com
- Flamingo 1.1 for Rhino 4 – $147.00 at Studica
- Newtex Lightwave – $184.00 at Studica. Lightwave can also be purchased through other online stores such as Kurvstudio or JourneyEd
- Livetext – $90.00 for 3 year license. To purchase and download, go to Livetext. Print receipt and bring to first day of class.
- Corel Painter X – $95.00 at Studica
- Rhinoceros – $95.00 at Studica
- Google SketchUp – free download at Google SketchUp