The Writing Center helps writers of all levels, at any stage of the writing process. We give writers the tools and strategies they need to become better writers, not just to “fix” one piece. In other words, we help the writer, not just the writing. Our goal is to give students and faculty the resources they need to write successfully.
Writing Center Hours for Spring 2013
Drop in hours in the Historic Federal Building:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 12:30pm in the 4th floor open lab
Drop in hours in the The Kendall Building
Sunday 6:00pm - 8:00pm in the Library
Why visit the Writing Center?
- Have a writing assignment and need help getting started
- Need help finding good research sources
- Aren’t sure about your thesis
- Just need a good person with whom to discuss your project
- Have a draft written and need help with organization or editing
Writing consultants can help:
- Brainstorm ideas for an assignment
- Organize your ideas
- Revise your essay’s focus
- Make your essay more appropriate for its audience and purpose
- Edit and polish your draft
- Find good secondary research materials
- Use document sources appropriately
- Understand the conventions of MLA style
Frequently asked questions
What should I bring with me?
- Specified goals for what you want to accomplish in your session
- Ideas and questions about your writing
- Syllabus or assignment requirements
- Your laptop or something to write with
- Any necessary textbooks or sources
Who works at the Writing Center?
We have a number of friendly Kendall student writing consultants on staff. All writing consultants undergo routine training sessions to help them hone their skills as consultants and provide you with the best help possible.
Where is the Writing Center?
The Writing Center is located in the 17 Fountain building in the Activities and Resources Center, on the first floor near the central elevators.
Do I need an appointment?
No, just stop in during the open hours, posted on the ARC door and the kcad.edu website.
What happens during a session?
After you and the writing consultant read your paper together, you’ll determine an appropriate revision strategy, working from larger issues such as content and focus, to smaller issues such as spelling and grammar.
When should I come visit?
The earlier the better. Avoid delaying your visit until right before an assignment is due; that won’t allow you adequate time for real revision.
I don't have a draft. Can I still visit the Writing Center?
Absolutely! Actually, that’s one of the best times to visit the center. Bring your assignment, and our consultants will help you get started.
Will the consultants proofread my work for me?
The consultants won’t proofread for you, but they will help you spot errors and learn how to correct them on your own.
How long is a session?
Typically, a session lasts around 30 minutes.