If you require a new or updated computer, we recommend purchasing your laptop online from the KCAD Apple Store. We have set up bundles for your convenience.
If bundles are not available look at the following minimum system requirements for more detail. Be aware that you are not limited to these requirements and a larger or more powerful laptop will work as well.
The minimum system requirements for this program:
- 15” MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz (or PC equivalent with 800 MHz 64-bit [x64] processor or faster with Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 operating system)
- Additional Applecare Coverage
Windows based laptops will need at least the following requirements and are subject to department approval.
- At least 4 gigabytes of RAM
- At least 250 gigabytes of Hard Drive Space (550 MB for AutoDesk software)
- Intel Core i3 Processor or Higher
- 1024 x 768 True Color display (minimum)
- 128 MB video adaptor card (minimum)
- 256 MB or greater, direct 3D compatible 3D video adaptor card (recommended – not required)
- 3-button mouse with scrolling capabilities
- Google SketchUp Pro for Wndows (Required for KCID 344)
- AutoCAD and Revit for Windows (Required for KCID 342) (AutoCAD and Revit are free for students. Create an account here using your @ferris.edu email)
- Microsoft Office Suite for Windows
- Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 or 6 Design Standard for Windows (Required for 300 level KCID Classes and 100 level KCDS classes)
- Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 (Mac OS X 10.6 or Higher Required)
- At least a 1TB External Hard Drive or larger for backup and storage of files
Recommended for Protection and Security
- Laptop Bag or Cover for your MacBook Pro
- Portable Laptop Lock