this is an embedded snippet - 2249 Technology Requirements - Intro Paragraph
We recommend purchasing your laptop online from the this is an embedded snippet - 2251 Technology - URL for KCAD Apple Store KCAD Apple Store. end of embedded snippet 2251
Be aware that you are not limited to these requirements and larger or more powerful Apple laptop will work as well.end of embedded snippet 2249
The minimum system requirements for this program:
- Additional Applecare Coverage
- PC equivalent with 800 MHz 64-bit [x64] processor or faster with Windows 7(64bit), 8(64bit) or 8.1(64bit) operating system
- In this profession most software is PC based, thus you will be required to use a PC or your MacBook Pro on the Windows side.
*Student need to partition the hard drive, so will need to use Boot Camp which is included with a new Mac computer. They will also need to purchase Windows 7 or 10. Departmental recommendation is to put at least 75% of the memory on the PC side of the computer. This should be completed BEFORE you start using the computer in class.
Windows based laptops will need at least the following requirements and are subject to department approval.
*A laptop waiver form must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office, which may change your financial aid package. Please pick up a blank form in the Student Services Office and bring it, and your laptop to the Program Chairperson.
- At least 4 gigabytes of RAM (8 GB preferred)
- At least 250 gigabytes of Hard Drive Space (550 MB for AutoDesk software)
- Intel Core i3 Processor or Higher (i7 recommended)
- Nvidia GeForce 640 or better, minimum 512 MB (Nvidia GeForce 760 GTX Series or Better (B) (C) (D), 2 GB preferred)
- 1280 x 1024 True Color display (minimum)
- 3-button mouse with scrolling capabilities
- AutoCAD and Revit for Windows (Required for KCID 342 and KCID 346) (AutoCAD is free for students. Create an account here using your @ferris.edu email)
- CETDesigner (Required for KCID450) You will be given access to this software for FREE the semester you are registered for this course.
- Microsoft Office Suite for Windows (This is free to students. Follow the directions found here
- Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard for Windows OR Adobe Creative Cloud (Required for 300 level KCID Classes and 100 level KCDS classes)
- Windows 7(64bit), 8(64bit) , or 10 (64bit) (Mac OS X 10.8 or Higher Required)
- SketchUp Pro (Required for KCID 344)
- At least a 1TB External Hard Drive or larger for backup and storage of files
Recommended for Protection and Security
- Laptop Bag or Cover for your MacBook Pro
- Portable Laptop Lock