To be a teacher is to live every day knowing that you make an impact on the next generation. Each day is an opportunity to model behaviors and provide life-changing guidance.
Students in the Art Education program are immersed in latest and most relevant teaching practices, preparing them to meet the current nationwide teacher shortage and be leaders and innovators in the classroom. Increased demand for teachers combined with the recent passing of federal legislation acknowledging the core, essential nature of arts education mean that graduates of the program have an excellent employment outlook.
- Art Educator (Elementary/Secondary)
- Private Art Tutor
- Art Museum Educational Staff
- Community Arts Program Director
- Exhibition Director
- Art Advocate
- Art Supervisor/Administrator
- Education Curator
Where KCAD Art Education alumni work
- Saugatuck Public Schools (Saugatuck, MI)
- Jenison Public Schools (Jenison, MI)
- Forest Hills Public Schools (Ada, MI)
- Rockford Public Schools (Rockford, MI)
- Grand Rapids Public Schools (Grand Rapids, MI)
- Fennville Public Schools (Fennville, MI)
- Muskegon Heights Public Schools (Muskegon, MI)
- Kentwood Public Schools (Kentwood, MI)
- … and in districts across the country, including in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.*
*Wondering how teaching certification requirements vary from state to state? Click here to explore state-by-state requirements provided by teaching-certification.com.
Art Education alumni also work at art institutions including:
Average Yearly Income
All teachers with the same credentials/seniority within a district earn the same salary.
- Elementary School Teachers - $57,730 national, $62,220 Michigan
- Middle School Teachers - $58,760 national, $63,620 Michigan
- Secondary School Teachers - $60,270 national, $60,400 Michigan
National income statistics source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics May 2015 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates
State income statistics source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics May 2015 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates - Michigan
- College Art Association
- CollegeGrad – Education, Training, and Library Career Information
- K12jobs.com – Online Job Portal
- Michigan Art Education Association
- Michigan Association of Public School Academies – Charter School Careers
- Michigan Association of School Boards – Education Careers
- Michigan Department of Education
- MIREAP – Online Job Portal
- National Art Education Association
- U.S. Department of Education
- WantToTeach – Online Job Portal
Disclaimer: Information on this page is provided for the convenience of the public, and is subject to change. While KCAD strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible, the college makes no guarantees about its contents, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions. No warranty of any kind, implied or expressed, is given with respect to the contents of this site or its links to other Internet resources. Names of or links to other businesses or organizations do not constitute endorsement or recommendation.